Taxes, Permits & Licenses

Real Estate & Personal Property Taxes

All property is assessed by the Holt County Assessor as of January 1st of the given year. Tax statements are mailed around the 1st of November and become delinquent after December 31st. Interest and penalties are added after December 31st.

Beginning in 2013, real estate and personal property taxes for the City will be billed and collected by the Holt County Collector (660-446-3384).

Make checks payable to the Holt County Collector. Payment of delinquent taxes for 2012 and prior years is still to be made at City Hall, 205 E. 6th Street (660-442-3434).

Building & Sign Permits

A Building Permit must be obtained at City Hall, 205 E. 6th Street for any new construction, and some remodeling. Plans of construction must be provided and approved by the building inspector and a building permit issued before construction can take place. Fees are based on construction value.

A permit is also required before any sign can be erected or structurally altered. Click here for the building and sign permit fee schedule.

Click for a Building Permit Application Form or a Sign Permit Application Form.

Merchant’s (Business) Licenses

A merchant’s license is required for anyone conducting a business or service within the city. Merchant’s licenses can be obtained at City Hall, 205 E. 6th Street.

Licenses are due January 1st. The fee is $15.00 per year but can be prorated after July 1st.

All Businesses with a Missouri Retail Sales Tax Number must show a statement of “No Tax Due” before license will be issued or renewed.

Click here for a  Merchant’s License Application.

Dog Licenses

All dogs over the age of six months must be licensed.

Dog licenses are due by July 1st of every year.

Fees are:
$7.50 for males and fixed females
$10.00 for unfixed females
$3.00 a month fee will be accessed starting July 1st.

Proof of rabies vaccination from a vet is required along with a picture of the dog.

Liquor Licenses

No person shall sell or offer for sale intoxicating liquor in the City of Mound City without a currently valid liquor license issued by the City. A separate liquor license shall be required for each of the categories and subcategories of liquor sales in which the licensee desires to engage. See Chapter 600 of the Municipal Code. Liquor licenses are also required by the State and County.

Click here for a Liquor License Application form.

Missouri Automobile & Driver’s Licenses

As a Missouri resident, you must make an application for a Missouri driver’s license within 30 days after you become a resident of the state, even if you still have a valid license from another state. A written exam and vision test are required of new residents who have a valid out-of–state driver’s license.

The Driver’s License Testing Office is located in the Holt Trinity Lutheran Church at 1413 Nebraska St. Testing times are 9:00 a.m.-11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.-3:45 p.m. every Wednesday. Licensing is to be completed at a Missouri License Office. There currently is no License Office in Holt County.